Tomorrow is the premiere of the movie Act of Valor. I asked around to see if my brother or my friends would go and see the movie. But of course like any group of civilians no one gives a crap. I jokingly refer to it as “the movie Kenyetta’s former boyfriend is in. (since she was seeing a guy in 2010 who was a SEAL)”
These two people actually say 1. there is no way this guy is a SEAL. 2. Kenyetta’s an idiot for believing he is a SEAL and having sex with him. It goes back to what I was saying when I was working in federal government during the height of the Afghan troop surge in 2009. The military account for less than 1% of the United States population the other 99% actually do not care.
The November 10, 2011 cover story illustrates this issue, the widening gap between the military and the civilian world.The 99% go about their daily American consumeristic lifestyle which consists of working (or not working) 9am-5pm, eating at fast food restaurant chains and purchasing gadgets, newest clothing styles and shoes, while the military (1%) are fighting overseas getting killed to perserve our American way of life. The civilians would groan when they had to give preference to a veteran for a job. And then sometimes go as far to hire the veteran and then not empower them to do their job so they could fire them. Even my neighbor says although he is entitled to veteran’s preference he never takes the five points because it makes people think you took the backdoor.
And I remember in 2009 during the Afghanistan troop surge how someone made the comment about the Wal-mart worker trampled to death on Black Friday that while troops are dying overseas for our freedom Americans here are fighting for a flat-screen television. I’ll find someone who will watch it with me if I ever get into the military.